[racket] Should `raco pkg update <x>` presume --update-deps?

From: Greg Hendershott (greghendershott at gmail.com)
Date: Mon Nov 11 09:08:06 EST 2013

I feel like my understanding of the new pkg mgr is getting better as a
pkg dev, but I need more experience with it as a pkg user.  For
example:

I just had a situation where a user of Frog needed to update the
markdown parser package it uses (and the updated markdown package in
turns adds a new dep, on Stephen Chang's Parsack package).

I told the user to do

    raco pkg update frog

But it didn't seem to update markdown for them or install parsack.

Sam helpfully pointed out that maybe I'd wanted to tell them this instead:

    raco pkg update --update-deps frog

I'm still waiting to hear back from the user if that worked. But
assuming it did:

I can't think of a situation where you'd want to update a package, but
not its deps. If such a situation exists, it seems like the
less-common case.

So I wonder if `raco pkg update <x>` should presume --update-deps. And
if there were a flag, it should be a --no--update-deps.

tl;dr swap the default behavior and add a negative flag?

p.s. Although I had updated the markdown version (in its info.rkt), I
had _not_ updated the required version of it (in frog's info.rkt). My
thinking was, frog doesn't require the newer version to build
correctly. However maybe I should update it, since the newer version
is highly desirable. But even if I had done so, I'm not sure that
`raco pkg update frog` would have updated without --update-deps.

Posted on the users mailing list.