[racket] Best way to propose changes to Scribble CSS files

From: Matthew Butterick (mb at mbtype.com)
Date: Sun Nov 10 21:39:31 EST 2013

> Yes, my original intent was to pick a specific maximum column for code.
> I didn't figure out how to both pick a specific width in characters and
> allow the font to be the user's chosen monospace font, so I made the
> width 43ems, which works out to 69 characters in my browser.

FWIW, monospaced fonts typically have characters that are 0.6em wide. So the expected width of a line of monospaced text in ems = (* chars 0.6).

To convert to pixels, note that the width of an em is the same as the current font size. So the expected width in pixels = (* chars 0.6 font-size-in-pixels)

For docs, 70 or 72 pixels seems like a reasonable limit.

Posted on the users mailing list.