Boston Lisp Meeting 2013-05-23T18:30 THIS THURSDAY! Faré: Tutorial on ASDF3

From: Francois-Rene Rideau (fare at tunes.org)
Date: Thu May 23 03:17:57 EDT 2013

Boston Lisp Meeting 2013-05-23T18:30 -- Faré: Tutorial on ASDF3

When? TONIGHT, Thursday May 23rd 2013 at 6:30pm.

Where? MIT 32-D463 (Star conference room at the Stata Center).
	http://whereis.mit.edu/?go=3D32

Who Speaks? François-René Rideau will give a Tutorial on ASDF3

I'm sorry about the short notice on this one;
communications problems of all kinds have been gumming up the works.
Please feel free to spread the word about the meeting
via whatever mechanisms are available to you.

Talk details follow. I hope to see you all there!

Title: "ASDF 3, or lessons in building portable Common Lisp programs"

Common Lisp build system for over ten years.
I recently rewrote it completely, several times,
all along mostly preserving backwards compatibility.
The latest incarnation, ASDF 3, in addition
to fixing deep design bugs older than ASDF itself,
also includes extensive portability library, UIOP,
not to be confused with an existing parallelizing extension, POIU.
I will show how to use ASDF, explain the recent improvements, and
discuss the challenges of writing portable Common Lisp programs
and what that means for the past and future of Lisp."

About the speaker:
"François-René Rideau is a Lisp plumber. On good days, he designs
great piping for persistent data, to be used in airline reservation
system of ITA (now part of Google). On bad days, he dons his rubber
gloves and scrubs the pipes. He also has a blog, Cybernethics, where
he writes on liberty, music, programming, and dynamic systems in
general."

I apologize for a last minute notice.
The piping system is down.

Posted on the users mailing list.