[racket] SSL and db/postgresql performance

From: Neil Van Dyke (neil at neilvandyke.org)
Date: Sat May 11 17:20:22 EDT 2013

Ryan Culpepper wrote at 05/10/2013 08:02 PM:
> The problem might be in the way Racket's SSL ports do buffering. If I
> recall a past experiment correctly, each write to an SSL port probably
> creates a separate SSL "record", where each record is separately
> MAC'd, padded, and encrypted. (The SSL port is still "buffered" in the
> sense that the records are only sent over the underlying output port
> when the SSL port is flushed, though.) My implementation of the
> PostgreSQL wire protocol uses lots of small writes, so that could be
> the source of the problem. I could be wrong; you should verify this
> using ssldump or something similar.

Looks like this is probably what's happening.  After the connection is
negotiated, a query like "select * from mytable" causes a large
sequences of client->server SSL records to be sent.  For example: 16
C>S, 2 S>C, 34 C>S.

For a test case that opens a connection and does 100 simple queries,
using the "db" library with SSL took approx. 7 times as long as using a
"pqsl" script to to do the same thing with SSL.  Seems plausible to me
that the fragmentation of messages across so many SSL records could
account for a 7x difference.

> If that does turn out to be a problem, a quick fix would be to create
> a helper port that does its own buffering and only writes to the SSL
> port when the helper port is flushed. If that significantly improves
> the performance, then we should probably fix the SSL library.
> (Although there might be issues I'm not thinking of that make that
> harder.)

Do you mean that I would modify the "db" library source code?  (I don't
see a public interface that would permit me to add a buffering port,
such as supplying such a port to "postgresql-connect".)

Thanks,
Neil V.

Posted on the users mailing list.