[racket] DrRacket/Ubuntu 12.04 LT

From: Patrick King (slowthought at gmail.com)
Date: Thu May 9 19:45:53 EDT 2013

A while ago, I said

"Still having a hard time catching Racket or Ubuntu "in the act"...
One thing that seems to happen fairly consistently is that I end up waiting
a lot on the background syntax expansion. Sometimes Racket recovers.
Sometimes it crashes (or perhaps Ubuntu is shutting it down -- it's trying
to send error reports, but can't figure out exactly what Racket is). Since
turning the expansion off, I haven't had a crash."

Thanks to Neil & Robby for their hints on Linux tools. None of them found
any problems pointing at Racket, but they helped me down a trail where it
seems pretty certain that I have a hardware problem, specifically a bad
memory chip that explains the Windows BSOD, the various random Linux
failures (the common thread being high memory usage that increases the
likelihood of encountering the memory errors, but never came close to
memory
swapping issues, I suspect that's why stopping backround expansion helps).

I'll send along an update when I get a final resolution or if I find a
reason
directly implicating Racket. Again, thanks to the community, especially
Robby & Neil.

Pat