[racket] Planet2 questions

From: Walter Tetzner (walter at waltertetzner.net)
Date: Thu May 2 10:20:09 EDT 2013

On Tue, Apr 30, 2013 at 12:24 PM, Matthew Flatt <mflatt at cs.utah.edu> wrote:
>  2. It could mean that the package system has a built-in way to declare
>     dependencies not only on a particular package, but on a particular
>     revision of a package --- either to ensure that certain features
>     are available or that certain bugs are not available.
> #2 is built into the new package system, though in an intentionally
> simplified form compared to Planet1. All version X specifications in
> dependencies mean "at least version X", and those specifications are
> intended to ensure the availability of new functionality or fixes that
> were added in a backwards-compatible way. Backwards incompatibility is
> handled by creating a new package name.

I think this might be cleaner if the versioning used Semver
(http://semver.org/), and actually relied on the semantics. So a
version specification of 3.2.1 would mean "at least version 3.2.1, but
still less than 4.0.0." In other words, instead of using the package
name to determine backwards compatibility, you would rely on the major
version number.

-Walter

Posted on the users mailing list.