[racket] doc request for serve/servlet

From: John Clements (clements at brinckerhoff.org)
Date: Tue Mar 26 10:53:18 EDT 2013

On Mar 26, 2013, at 4:26 AM, Jay McCarthy wrote:

> On Mon, Mar 25, 2013 at 2:18 PM, John Clements
> <clements at brinckerhoff.org> wrote:
>> Yikes! In that case, I *really* didn't understand the architecture. Would it make sense to add at least a sentence that alludes to (and ideally points to) documentation on the request handler model? A two-minute scan through the web-server docs doesn't turn up any information on a chain of handlers.
>
> I don't understand this comment. Every section in the Web Server
> manual (http://docs.racket-lang.org/web-server-internal/) is about
> this chain of dispatchers. Section 1 says that the Web server works
> that way. Section 2 is about each of the standard dispatchers. Section
> 3 is about common patterns. Section 4 is about the particular default
> chain used by the command line tool. And then the manual is basically
> over.

That's the internals manual. I wasn't aware it existed. Perhaps I would have found it if I'd kept searching, but I maintain that a reasonable-depth reading of /web-server/ doesn't allude to the dispatching model or link to the internals manual. I claim that section 1.2.2, "Web Applications in Racket> Running Web Servlets> Full API" is the right place to put some mention of the dispatching model.

For instance, between "...module and stuffer is used as the stuffer." and "Advanced users may need the following options:", I think it might help to add something like this:

"The Racket Web Server routes requests using a "dispatcher" model. For more information, see [the internals manual]."

John