[racket] Typed racket and sync/timeout

From: Norman Gray (norman at astro.gla.ac.uk)
Date: Sat Mar 9 08:07:06 EST 2013

Greetings, all.

I'm getting a Typed Racket error

    Type Checker: untyped identifier sync/timeout imported from module <typed/racket> in: sync/timeout

(in DrRacket 5.3.3)

Should I expect sync/timeout to be typed?

I'm trying to supply the missing type with

(require/typed racket/async-channel
               ;[#:opaque Async-Channel async-channel?]
               [#:struct (async-channel evt) ()]
               [async-channel-put (Async-Channel Any -> Void)]
               [make-async-channel (-> Async-Channel)])
(require/typed racket
               [#:opaque Event evt?]
               [sync/timeout ((U False Nonnegative-Real) Event * -> Any)])

Using the [#:opaque Async-Channel async-channel?] appears to work fine in isolation, but I don't seem to be able to declare that async-channel is a subtype of evt (which I think I need, otherwise I get errors such as "Type Checker: Expected Event, but got Async-Channel in: ...").

However the above produces:

../../../../../Data/LocalApplications/Racket/5.3.3/collects/typed-racket/typed-racket.rkt:40:4: syntax-local-value: not defined as syntax
  identifier: #<syntax:/checkouts/me/code/ldap-client/src/ldap-client.rkt:32:40 evt>

(line 32 of ldap-client is the #:struct line).

I'm not sure what that error message is telling me, but that doesn't look like something I can fix.

I can get round this by declaring sync/timeout to return async-channel (which it always will, in my case), but that's obviously not a general solution.

Best wishes,

Norman

--
Norman Gray  :  http://nxg.me.uk