[racket] Typed Racket: Command-line parsing problems

From: Matthias Felleisen (matthias at ccs.neu.edu)
Date: Mon Jun 24 08:30:17 EDT 2013

The type error is real and predicts a potential bug in your code.

First, here is how to fix it:

#lang typed/racket

(define: mystringlistlist : (Listof (cons String (Listof String))) (list (list "a" "b") (list "c" "d")))

(define: mystringpairlist : (Listof (Pairof String String)) (list (cons "a" "b") (cons "c" "d")))

; Works!
(assoc "a" mystringpairlist)

;; Works like a charm:
(assoc "a" mystringlistlist)

Second, here is why your code is potentially buggy. Suppose you used the type of your mystringlistlist as an argument type to f. You could then apply f to '( () ), which is a list of list of strings. If this argument flows to assoc, you violate the primitives basic constraint, namely, that each item on the list consists of at least one cons cell. By saying (cons String (Listof String)) you are saying list of non-empty list of strings, which fits the assoc type signature fine.

Third, the reason your code doesn't have a run-time error -- i.e. the type error is conservative and the 'potential' is needed -- is because your specific list consists of non-empty lists of strings. Even though TR can infer this type, your type assignment to this identifier overrides TR's capabilities.

-- Matthias