[racket] DSLs and complexity

From: Todd O'Bryan (toddobryan at gmail.com)
Date: Fri Jun 21 09:24:25 EDT 2013

In my opinion, there are two kinds of DSLs: good ones and bad ones.

Good ones feel like you're using the programming language, but it has
been tailored to the problem domain. Your intuitions about using the
language still work in the DSL, and the DSL manages to fill in the
boilerplate that would be required if you were using the raw language.

Bad ones are so special-purpose that you almost have to forget what
you know about the programming language you're using to make the DSL
work. They're often works of art in terms of how they create their own
language, tailor-made to the problem domain. But in so doing, they
really do create a new language, with new rules, and new ideas to
absorb. Because there's so little transfer from the original language,
you might as well be learning a new language.

As a simple example, there are DSLs that try to let you use SQL in
whichever programming language you're using. Well, with all due
respect to the authors, if I wanted to use SQL, I'd be using SQL. If
I'm using a programming language to interface with a database, I want
the stuff the PL gives me--type checking, ease of testing, standard
function call behavior, etc. Instead of trying to make the PL I love
look like SQL, I want you to make SQL look like the PL I love. :-)

Just one (not very informed) person's opinion. Take it for what it's worth.
Todd