[racket] Code Reuse, Object Oriented vs Functional

From: Matthias Felleisen (matthias at ccs.neu.edu)
Date: Thu Jun 20 15:19:14 EDT 2013

1. Yes, extensible dispatch allows for elegant solutions of the 'extensibility problem' that we worked on in the 1990s. Manuel Serrano pointed that out in '99 and again in '00, and by coincidence, we discussed this today in a meeting on generics.

2. Choose depending on your existing context (language, ide, tools) and needs (how much extensibility do you need now?). If you are writing a product from scratch, choose a tool chain whose language allows and supports FP, class-based OOP, and generics programming. Answering this question in the abstract is a bad idea.

You may wish to check out the generics library in git head (developed by Eli, Vincent, Asumu, and Claire -- a kind of historic order) to see whether it fits your needs.

-- Matthias