[racket] Lazy syntax class attributes

From: Ryan Culpepper (ryanc at ccs.neu.edu)
Date: Wed Jun 5 17:05:11 EDT 2013

I've implemented what I described earlier, as well as the error on 3D
values in a #:with clause or ~parse right-hand side.

Pattern variables that come from syntax-parse already acted differently;
if they weren't syntax-valued, they raised errors. All I've done now is
turn some error cases into non-error cases.

Ryan

On 06/01/2013 11:55 AM, Eric Dobson wrote:
> I would say not to implement this just on my behalf. I think it would
> be weird for pattern variables to act differently if they came from
> syntax-parse versus from with-syntax.
>
> On Fri, May 31, 2013 at 2:17 PM, Sam Tobin-Hochstadt <samth at ccs.neu.edu> wrote:
>> On Fri, May 31, 2013 at 4:42 PM, Ryan Culpepper <ryanc at ccs.neu.edu> wrote:
>>>
>>> Note, however, that the syntax class now uses #:attr instead of #:with.
>>> That's the main usability issue I'm worried about with this change.
>>> Following with-syntax's lead, a #:with clause automatically converts its
>>> right-hand side to syntax---even if the result is "3D". That means that if
>>> you forget that step of the conversion to laziness, you'll probably get
>>> bizarre 3D syntax. I could change #:with to raise an error in some/all 3D
>>> cases, but that might break existing programs.
>>>
>>> Is anyone out there using syntax-parse to make 3D syntax?
>>
>> I'm sure all the places where I do this are bugs (and it has happened
>> to me), so I'd welcome this error.
>>
>> Sam

Posted on the users mailing list.