[racket] Macro + function automation

From: Carl Eastlund (cce at ccs.neu.edu)
Date: Thu Jul 11 00:26:53 EDT 2013

Roman,

Bear in mind that by expanding (square x) to (square x x), that means if
someone writes

  (square (perform-expensive-computation))

then you will expand it to:

  (* (perform-expensive-computation) (perform-expensive-computation))

You have to be careful about duplicating inputs in expanded code.

A lot of the optimizations you are performing manually will be done by the
Racket optimizer anyway; more if you use Typed Racket with optimizations
on, and you can always use the Optimization Coach to find more.  A lot of
the benefits you get from explicit optimization will also come from using
define-inline from racket/performance-hint.

If you still prefer to manually expand these things, then I suggest
something like the following:

(require (for-syntax syntax/parse))

(define-syntax (square stx)
  (define/syntax-parse body #'(* x x))
  (syntax-parse stx
    #:literals [square expt]
    [(square (square e:expr)) #'(expt e 4)]
    [(square (expt e:expr n:number))
     (define/syntax-parse 2n (* 2 (syntax-e #'n)))
     #'(expt e '2n)]
    [(square (expt e:expr n:expr)) #'(expt e (* n 2))]
    [(square e:expr) #'(let ([x e]) body)]
    [square #'(lambda (x) body)]))

Note that syntax-parse lets you check for numeric inputs in the pattern,
and define/syntax-parse lets you bind pattern variables.  There isn't a
problem with "x" here, because the name is not used as a pattern variable,
it's a variable name introduced by the macro everywhere it occurs.

If you're unfamiliar with syntax-parse, I encourage you to learn it, but
you can always use syntax-case and replace define/syntax-parse with
define/with-syntax from the racket/syntax module.