[racket] DrRacket GUI tutorial with MVC concepts?

From: Geoffrey S. Knauth (geoff at knauth.org)
Date: Tue Dec 17 15:04:04 EST 2013

Thanks, Janos.  He and I both have Realm of Racket, and love and appreciate it.  I think he kind of got MVC by osmosis, so it succeeded, it just struck me that he hadn't ever heard of MVC, and that made me wonder if PLT had a "philosophy" about systems building, given that PLT tools grow in capability and scalability every year.  It's OK if it doesn't, though I bet developers coming from other languages and frameworks will ask the same question.  I was just wondering.

In fairness to my son, when I was his age in 1976, when I thought I knew everything (cough cough) — I didn't even know there were persons called Knuth, McCarthy, Church, Turing, ...

In fairness to life, in the following decades I got to meet most of the living giants of the field, a field which continues to explode with surprises.

Geoff

On Dec 16, 2013, at 14:33 , Janos Tobias Locsei <jtlocsei at cantab.net> wrote:

> Geoff, maybe your son would enjoy the book "Realm of Racket" which teaches game programming in Racket? It teaches MVC by osmosis, i.e. MVC is not explicitly discussed but you learn to structure your code along those lines anyway. I'm about 1/3 of the way through the book and it's good fun. It's amazing how little code it takes to make the "snakes" game.
>
> Tobias
>

> Date: Sat, 14 Dec 2013 13:05:16 -0500
> From: "Geoffrey S. Knauth" <geoff at knauth.org>
> To: users at racket-lang.org
> Subject: [racket] DrRacket GUI tutorial with MVC concepts?
>
> My son, who I'm afraid/inspired to say is a DrRacket addict, in that he does much of his homework (physics, calculus, Latin, music, what-next...) in DrRacket, has read through the Racket GUI Toolkit docs at:
>
> http://docs.racket-lang.org/gui/
>
> and presto, he has an app that can conjugate or decline any number of Latin words in a window.  The window has tabs and buttons and text areas and all the good stuff the toolkit provides, but in talking with him I discovered he'd never heard about MVC.  Is there a Racket tutorial somewhere that goes into the proper MVC (or whatever you want to call it) approach in the context of building Racket applications?
>
> By the way, what does the Racket community call MVC?  I've seen other communities come up with their own terminology (e.g., [1]), and I don't know/remember if Racket has stayed with MVC or called it something else.
>
> Thanks,
> Geoff
>
> [1] https://docs.djangoproject.com/en/dev/faq/general/#django-appears-to-be-a-mvc-framework-but-you-call-the-controller-the-view-and-the-view-the-template-how-come-you-don-t-use-the-standard-names

Posted on the users mailing list.