[racket] Learning Scribble

From: Ryan Davis (zenspider at gmail.com)
Date: Fri Dec 13 17:14:43 EST 2013

On Nov 23, 2013, at 8:21, Matthias Felleisen <matthias at ccs.neu.edu> wrote:

> On Nov 23, 2013, at 10:45 AM, Laurent wrote:
>
>> On Sat, Nov 23, 2013 at 4:04 PM, Greg Hendershott <greghendershott at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> Let me see if I can find time to review the current docs for Planet
>> and the new package system, and see where more examples/tips -- or at
>> least links to examples -- could go, and submit a PR.
>>
>> My 2 cents: I think what is missing is a complete example as a tutorial, like "You've written a module? Here is what to do, step by step, to document it and make it a package. Here is the example module file, here is the corresponding scribble file (with defproc, defform, defstruct(*), itemlist, tabular, racket, racketblock, image, sections, title, emph and bold, and all most used forms), and here is the result on-screen."
>> Then people don't need initially to fully grok the at-exp syntax or other difficult parts, they can just copy/paste from the example when it's not yet clear to them.
>

> That is correct.
>
> I used scribble this past semester for Labs, which grad and undergrad students drafted. When people are given templates, getting them to work is possible. But, one step off the beaten path takes people by surprise.
>
> If anyone has time to draft such a document, I'd be happy to play editor.

Did this go anywhere? I'm starting in on my first significant racket project and would love to have doco in place up front instead of cramming it in at the end.

I've been thinking that something like my ruby project Hoe would be nice on the racket side. It provides a lot of the usual project/process level code I use day to day maintaining ruby and has a project generator to start new projects with all the usual stuff you'd need (rakefile + doco + lib/*.rb + test/test_*.rb). I don't know racket well enough to step up to this task at this point.

I'd also be perfectly happy with `raco new <projectname>` w/ a boilerplate project w/ a module, tests, and doco stubbed out.

Is there anything in the package ecosystem like this?

Posted on the users mailing list.