[racket] Suggested material for learning Racket and PL topics?

From: Greg Hendershott (greghendershott at gmail.com)
Date: Thu Aug 29 14:08:30 EDT 2013

I have a few suggestions, that go beyond books:

1. After a certain point I found it helpful to read a lot of other
people's real-world Racket code. This helped me learn about various
idioms, tactics, and styles. Some I've adopted, some not, but either
way good to know about.

The source for Racket itself can be great, although some of it is
quite old and therefore more Scheme-ish than Rackety. Not necessarily
how it would be written from scratch, today. So also I'd suggest
GitHub repos of relatively recent projects from core Racket devs. A
few examples (in no particular order):

  https://github.com/takikawa
  https://github.com/samth
  https://github.com/dyoo
  https://github.com/jeapostrophe
  https://github.com/soegaard

Some of these are a reasonable size and focus that you can jump in and
get your bearings pretty quickly.

Also see who they follow on GitHub, or what they've starred, and
you'll discover more -- including some I probably forgot to include
here (sorry!!).

2. racket/unstable is an interesting collection of code. Just because
it wasn't accepted into Racket "officially" doesn't mean it's not
useful to learn from or even use. (A few times I've implemented
something myself, only to discover it later in racket/unstable -- and
done in a better way than occurred to me.)  It can also be interesting
to wonder why it's in unstable.

3. There are a few blogs that cover Racket and are active recently. I
think all of them are rolled up under the Planet Scheme feed and web
site:

  http://www.scheme.dk/planet/

4. Stack Overflow questions tagged Racket can have a low signal:noise
ratio. Especially around academic calendar milestones. What a strange
coincidence. However there can be some great questions and answers:

  http://stackoverflow.com/questions/tagged/racket