[racket] Where to start programming for a 10 year old?

From: Grant Rettke (grettke at acm.org)
Date: Sat Aug 24 13:07:50 EDT 2013

Hi,

My nephew seems pretty interested in programming. When I told him that
he could be creating those "apps" on the iOS device, he got a big, big
smile.

For fun, we talked about tic-tac-toe, he wrote down what he called the
rules, and we tried playing according to the rules, on paper I mean we
played. We iterated probably 20 times in a pattern of me making an
obvious mistake, and then pointing out that according to the rules, I
was playing it correctly. So he made corrections, revisions,
additions, and removals, until he had a full A4 piece of paper just
covered in notes and scribblings and examples (which he provided on
his own volition). I was so impressed.

I would think, the place is to start is HtDP, but of course there is
also Bootstrap (I'm looking for an excuse to learn it), and even
Scratch seems to be hugely popular. Another note, we would probably be
working over Skype and a shared-screen most of the time, too.

Where is a good place to start?

Best wishes,

--
Grant Rettke | ACM, AMA, COG, IEEE