[racket] General praise for racket

From: Deren Dohoda (deren.dohoda at gmail.com)
Date: Mon Aug 19 17:16:59 EDT 2013

Hi Matthias,

It's inside a commercial product, yes. It's pretty specific and sits above
a fairly expensive OEM part so I don't know that there would be a lot of
call for open-sourcing anything. If you want more details I'd be happy to
provide them, though.

What I did end up implementing that I didn't find available directly were
watchdog threads. I had a thread that should always be able to successfully
loop a query/read-response but might block indefinitely in case of some
problem. It was simple enough to put together but it was a little too ad
hoc for my liking. It looks like there is something similar in the web
server API, where timers fire events to kill a hanging connection (or never
happen if the transaction succeeds); it wasn't immediately obvious to me
how to leverage this, though, and is anyway in "private". In fact I
considered using the web server API in general but it felt too tied to TCP
to be useful for handling byte-streams from input-output-files, even though
the asynchronous nature of these two is otherwise quite similar. That
certainly could have been due to my poor reading of the documents, though.

Deren