[racket] Why is this slow?

From: Jordan Schatz (jordan at noionlabs.com)
Date: Thu Apr 25 02:02:58 EDT 2013

Jens Axel Søgaard <jensaxel at soegaard.net> writes:
> I better take the blame for the number-theory collection :-)
Ah, sorry for the miss attribution.

> In the number-theory module I used remainders modulo 60=2*2*3*5.
> The trick is that there are exactly 16 numbers modulo 60, that
> stems from non-primes. One can therefore represent the block of 60
> remainders in only 2 bytes. See the gory details in:
>
> https://github.com/plt/racket/blob/master/collects/math/private/number-theory/small-primes.rkt

I looked at that for quite a while (it is wonderful that so much of racket is
written in racket) but never quite "got it" I think that method is called the
Atkin Sieve? As I said it is still over my head, but it seems like their would
be a straight forward way to provide your sieve from that module?

Thanks,
Jordan

Posted on the users mailing list.