[racket] I love TR

From: Arthur Nunes-Harwitt (anh at cs.rit.edu)
Date: Fri Sep 21 09:33:11 EDT 2012

Dear John,

   Although it's not a trivial change for other type systems, I believe
that the natural numbers should be a base type.

   Thanks for the example.

-Arthur

Arthur Nunes-Harwitt
Computer Science Department, Rochester Institute of Technology
Room 70-3509
585-475-4916

"I don't know what the language of the future will be
called, but it will look like LISP."

This email is confidential and intended for the named recipient(s). In
the event the email is received by someone other than the recipient,
please notify the sender at anh at cs.rit.edu.

On Thu, 20 Sep 2012, John Clements wrote:

> ? and I don't mean Teddy Roosevelt.
>
> TR just discovered a bug that other type systems totally wouldn't have.
> As a side-benefit, it appears that TR should be able to generate
> substantially faster code as a result.
>
> Short synopsis:
>
> I have inner-loop code that's using 'modulo'. As it turns out, modulo is
> slow, because (among other things) it handles cases where the modulus
> needs to be added or subtracted more than once.  So, I wrote my own. In
> fact, I specialized my own to the situation where it wrapped down only,
> because it was being applied to a counter that only got bumped up by 1.
>
> I found another use of modulo, and pointed it to the same function.
>
> OOPS! the program doesn't type-check any more. Why? because TR correctly
> notes that in my other use of the function, it's entirely possible for
> the index to be less than zero.
>
> In principle, any dependent type system should have been able to figure
> this out. In practice, though, I don't know of any languages that
> actually support dependent types in this way? er, agda?
>
> Anyhow, TR just saved me a bunch of debugging time.
>
> Of course, I just blew it all, writing this e-mail?.
>
> John

Posted on the users mailing list.