[racket] "fra" status?

From: Jay McCarthy (jay.mccarthy at gmail.com)
Date: Thu Sep 6 14:08:54 EDT 2012

On Thu, Sep 6, 2012 at 11:42 AM, John Clements
<clements at brinckerhoff.org> wrote:
> I was looking today for a way to make relational algebra queries on lists, and your "fra" package was close enough to try out. I have a number of questions, though:
>
> 1) Is this package superseded by any of your more recent stuff? It looks like m8b and grade-samurai use something file-system based instead?

I don't use it for anything. The idea was to write a functional
database so that I could use it from FrTime and get "live" updating
queries where when the database time-varying value changes the answers
to old queries are automatically updated to. It was mainly just a demo
to get that demo working. I never used it anything real.

Also, m8b uses mongodb, but I decided that it was a bit of a pain
given my deployment situation. With grade-samurai, the latest web app,
I just went with a simple file system store.

> 2) I don't see any functions that allow translation back & forth to list-based representations. E.G., sexp->db. I see that you can hack this in at the syntax level, but this seems overly complicated.

I didn't write anything to do it. I assumed that all information would
come in through the function calls---which would be tied to
time-varying values.

> 3) The planet package has old-school references to cce/scheme, which (IIUC) is now superseded by stuff in the main collects tree.

Correct. I wrote the whole thing in like a weekend and haven't touched
it since except to put it on github. I don't have the bandwidth now to
update it, but you're welcome to and I'll push the changes.

Jay

--
Jay McCarthy <jay at cs.byu.edu>
http://faculty.cs.byu.edu/~jay