[racket] Typed Racket Predicate Generation Regression?

From: Ray Racine (ray.racine at gmail.com)
Date: Wed Oct 31 12:02:47 EDT 2012

Orthogonal to the type system any unsynchronized parallel read/write is
unsafe.

if (eq? (unbox bx) 3)
  (let ((b (unbox bx))

Here assume the type system is not subverted there is a serious lurking
problem nonetheless.  Actually larger, as at least if the parallel process
consistently subverted the type an eventual contract violation with blame
is likely.

I guess I'm trying to say is, in general all Racket code without special
structuring by the programmer is not thread safe.  Unsafe in any manner of
manifestations.  Yes one subset of parallel mutation unsafeness will cause
a type subversion / contract violation.   I can insert a doomed typecast in
any number of languages.  All comes with the territory.

Is Racket planning on some sort of effects type system as well?  Perhaps
allowing mutation only in atomic blocks or STM computations?  Is MR,
Monadic Racket on the roadmap?  All exciting possibilities.

Of course the most basic of mutable containers is the global variable.
Consider (define: x : Any 4) along with an accompanying Byzantine parallel
process whirling away busily set!'ing x to all sorts of fuzzed values.
 Shall the set! construct be banned from TR?

I suppose this situation goes to the heart of the goals of TR.  Is it a
pragmatic type system, designed to guide ones aim and
minimize inadvertent loss of limb, or a martinet willing to ban 32oz
servings of soft drinks for my own well being.

To be clear, I'm not arguing one way or the other here, this stuff is way
over my head, just trying to think through all the ramifications this slope
bends towards.  FWIW, I'm in the TR should be my able consul and
trusted advisor, but not my jail keeper inhibitor camp.   I reserve the
right and accept the responsibility to partake of a  BigGulp despite my
good Doctor's advice.