[racket] Experience using Scrabble evaluators to other languages

From: Ryan Culpepper (ryan at cs.utah.edu)
Date: Fri Oct 5 18:05:23 EDT 2012

On 10/05/2012 02:28 PM, Grant Rettke wrote:
> Hi,
>
> My goal is to use Scribble to document some code and evaluated code
> using the Scribble eval environments, but I want to do "external
> evaluation" for example against a R6RS Scheme and something totally
> separate like Clojure for example.
>
> Has anyone done this before?
>
> What are some clues or pointers where I might start?

I guess you can make a sandbox evaluator that "evaluates" by sending
terms to an external process and then reading the results. There are
evaluation hooks provided by the racket/sandbox library; there's also
the current-eval parameter, which also affects sandbox evaluation. I'm
not sure which is better suited to what you want.

Another issue, though, is that you may wish to distribute your
documentation sources for other people to build even if they don't have
all of the external programs you want to call. I have a similar
situation with the 'db' library. You can use 'make-log-based-eval' from
'unstable/sandbox' to record the interactions on your development
machine and then check in the logs so that anyone can build the docs
without the external dependencies. It probably won't compose cleanly
with the other eval hooks you'll need to install, so you may have to
adapt the code yourself. If you work out a clean way of composing it
with your code, let me know.

Ryan

Posted on the users mailing list.