[racket] Decimal rounding problem

From: Jos Koot (jos.koot at gmail.com)
Date: Fri Nov 30 14:55:05 EST 2012

As 4.225 is inexact, it may be somewhat smaller that #e4.225 or somewhat
greater than #e4.225. Therefore, whether rounding an inexact number very
close to the edge of the rounding point goes up or down, seems irrelevant to
me. BTW, explicit rounding normally is the last operation in an inexact
calculation. Implicit rounding as in a basic operation (+, -, *, /) with
inexact numbers does occur, of course, and here rounding even up and odd
down (or reversely, I don't recall) may be usefull such as to have implicit
roundings cancel each other as much as possible, though I imagine their are
examples of calculations where this strategy accumulates inaccuracy rather
than reducing it.

Just some thoughts,
Jos