[racket] Racket GUI with Xlib

From: Laurent (laurent.orseau at gmail.com)
Date: Tue Nov 27 11:25:34 EST 2012

On Tue, Nov 27, 2012 at 3:58 PM, Kieron Hardy <kieron.hardy at gmail.com>wrote:

> Laurent, do you have a bit of code that demonstrates your issue?

Well, it's not easy to show a minimal example, as it (seems to) depends on
an X event loop processing while grabbing the root window.

But I have something like that:
[...]
; create a new event space and use it for all graphics
(define gui-eventspace (make-eventspace))
(current-eventspace gui-eventspace)
[...]

(define menu2 (new popup-menu% [...])
(define f (new frame% [label "Frame"]))
(define cb (new button% [parent f] [label "Menu"]
    [callback (λ(cb ev)(send f popup-menu menu2 100 150))]))

; keybindings to run commands
(add-bindings global-keymap
 "C-F1" (thunk* (send f popup-menu menu2 100 100))
 "C-F2" (thunk* (send f show #t)) ; to show the frame after the event loop
has started
)

[...]

(run-event-loop)

When the program starts, I press Ctrl-F2 to show the frame, and then I can
press the button to show the popup, several times in a row, and the popup
menu does work correctly.
But if I press Ctrl-F1 to show the popup menu by attaching it directly to
the frame instead of going through the callback, not only does it not show
up, but after that pressing the button does not work anymore (actually, I
can press the button and it changes its state, so it's not frozen, but the
popup menu just does not appear).

I've tried to surround the call inside the first thunk* with a `thread' and
also with a `(parameterize ([current-eventspace (make-eventspace)])' or
with the gui-eventspace just in case, but without success.

Laurent