Boston Lisp Meeting: Tuesday 2012-11-20 Jianshi Huang (黄 澗石) on Making CL more popular for startups — the lean approach

From: Francois-Rene Rideau (fare at tunes.org)
Date: Mon Nov 19 18:10:10 EST 2012

                             Boston Lisp Meeting:
                              Tuesday 2012-11-20
   Jianshi Huang (黄澗石) on Making CL more popular for startups — the lean
                                   approach

                    http://fare.livejournal.com/170092.html

UPDATE: Google will offer appetizers and drinks. Please register ASAP for this
event tomorrow by sending mail to boston-lisp-register at google.com.

A Boston Lisp Meeting will take place on Tuesday, November 20th 2012 at 1800 at
Chatham Café at Google, 3 Cambrige Center. Jianshi Huang (黄澗石) will speak
about Making CL more popular for startups — the lean approach.

Additionally, we will have two Lightning Talks. Marc Battyani and François-René
Rideau will tell their experiences of last month's ILC 2012. One slot open.

1 Jianshi Huang (黄澗石) on Making CL more popular for startups — the lean
approach

Rapid prototyping becomes essential when choosing a tech stack in startups.
Jianshi will share his experience of using Common Lisp in the 7 months of his
startup projects and 4 years of work in MSI, and will discuss how to make
Common Lisp more popular for startups. Jianshi will also share the feedbacks he
gathered from the Chinese Lisp community and Lispers he met in the west coast.

Jianshi has been a Common Lisp programmer for 6 years, with a 4-year work
experience at Mathematical Systems Inc. in Japan http://www.msi.co.jp with a
team of excellent CL programmers. At MSI, we use CL almost for everything, from
data mining to high-speed network monitoring, from graph visualization to
programming language implementations. Jianshi joined a startup as a tech
co-founder this April. The startup went through two incubators, Startup Chile
and TechStars in Seattle.

2 Lightning Talks

At every meeting, before the main talk, there are two slots for strictly timed
5-minute "Lightning Talks" each followed by 2 minutes for questions and
answers.

Marc Battyani and François-René Rideau will tell what they saw or failed to see
at the International Lisp Conference 2012 last October in Kyoto.

There is still one slot open for the next meeting. Step up and come talk about
your pet project! Contact me at tunes at google.com.

3 Time and Location

The Lisp Meeting will take place on Tuesday, November 20th 2012 at 1800 (6pm)
at Chatham Café at Google, 3 Cambrige Center.

REGISTRATION REQUIRED — CHANGE: Appetizers and drinks offered.

We are trying a new location this month, at the Google offices right outside
Kendall Square Station. The downside is that Google requires attendees to
register at least one day before. The upside is that Google will offer us
appetizers and drinks. Please send an email ASAP with your name or usual
pseudonym to boston-lisp-register at google.com (we don't send acknowledgements
unless requested). It is OK to register and not come, but not OK to come
without being registered, so if you think you might come, please register.

Chatham Café is a Google conference room on the fourth floor of the 3 Cambridge
Center, Cambridge MA 02139, right next to Kendall Square Station. http://
wikimapia.org/3930737/3-Cambridge-Center

3 Cambridge Center (3CC) is the building on the North side of Main street,
immediately West to the main T exit (Red Line outbound). The entrance to 3CC is
on the side of the building opposite the T exit. A Googler will be waiting for
you downstairs between 5:30pm and 6pm. If you arrive late, send me a text
message at 617 575 9012 or tunes at google.com so someone can usher you in.

Google map: http://maps.google.com/maps?q=3+Cambridge+Center,+Cambridge,+MA

Many thanks to Google for welcoming us.

4 Dinner

We unhappily couldn't secure a sponsor to offer us dinner, but we're big boys
and can provide for ourselves. After the conference, we will head down to the
Cambridge Brewing Company and will take it from there.

5 More about the Meeting

We are resuming the Boston Lisp Meeting after a hyatus of over a year and a
half.

We're always looking for more speakers. The call for speakers and all the other
details are at: http://fare.livejournal.com/120393.html Volunteers to give
Lightning Talks are also sought. http://fare.livejournal.com/143723.html

For more information, see our web site http://common-lisp.net/project/
boston-lisp/ For posts related to the Boston Lisp meetings in general, follow
this link: http://fare.livejournal.com/tag/boston-lisp-meeting or subscribe to
our RSS feed: http://fare.livejournal.com/data/rss?tag=boston-lisp-meeting

Please forward this information to people you think would be interested. Please
accept my apologies for your receiving this message multiple times. My
apologies if this announce gets posted to a list where it shouldn't, or fails
to get posted to a list where it should. Feedback welcome by private email
reply to tunes at google.com.

Posted on the users mailing list.