[racket] Performance of Racket on Linux and Windows

From: Greg Hendershott (greghendershott at gmail.com)
Date: Sat Nov 10 11:03:44 EST 2012

Although I don't know the answer, I wanted to suggest using Amazon EC2
as a way you could determine this for your specific application.

You could provision two instances, use them for a few hours, then
suspend or delete them. Even with the largest instance types it would
probably cost ~$15 for say 8 hours. Going forward you could purchase
similar hardware, or rent from Amazon on one of several commitment
levels.

Maybe you'd want a Linux and Windows flavor each of this instance type:

High-CPU Extra Large Instance

7 GiB of memory
20 EC2 Compute Units (8 virtual cores with 2.5 EC2 Compute Units each)
1690 GB of instance storage
64-bit platform
I/O Performance: High
EBS-Optimized Available: No
API name: c1.xlarge
<<
Source: http://aws.amazon.com/ec2/instance-types/

That looks like US$0.66 per hour for Linux, $1.14 for Windows. (You're
paying the Windows license fee as part of the latter.)  Source:
http://aws.amazon.com/ec2/pricing/

My guess is the Linux box will perform slightly better; also more
cost-effective. But you could see for yourself.