[racket] on the arity of the composition of procedures with different arities

From: Eli Barzilay (eli at barzilay.org)
Date: Fri Nov 9 11:40:27 EST 2012

I just measured the overhead again, to see if things changed.  The
attached file has the exact implementation of the compose functions,
and another copy with the proper reduction and renaming.  For the
correct function I'm getting ~5x slowdown from the current code, which
in turn is 20x slower than just using a lambda.  This is big enough to
justify a comment saying something like "don't use this if you care
about speed", which kind of makes the whole point of the function
redundant.

Notes:

1. Yes, the docs should say that already, but still I consider jumping
   to a slowdown of two orders of magnitude as a major problem.

2. I'm not talking about a theoretical point here -- I *have* seen
   `compose' used in tight loops, and I have personally written
   explicit lambdas in code where I really should have just used it.

3. There are definitely other cases where things like `apply' are used
   in a way that doesn't preserve arity, so it's not like this is an
   exceptional problem (or a new one).

4. I'll shut up now.