[racket] translate from Racket to Common Lisp

From: Neil Van Dyke (neil at neilvandyke.org)
Date: Tue Nov 6 10:53:07 EST 2012

(CC list trimmed.)

Greg Hendershott wrote at 11/06/2012 10:22 AM:
> It sounds like this is morphing into benchmarking C compilers?

I think architecting a compiler to target the wildly popular GCC, as the
default configuration, is totally fair.

Sounds like Apple pulled a switcheroo, broke some optimizations by
introducing bugs, didn't care, and consequently Gambit had to degrade
gracefully.

Gambit needing a real (not fake) GCC to work best is different from
vendor saying that they only get their best benchmark performance in
utterly contrived machine configurations, running at a particular
temperature during a particular phase of the moon.

BTW, I am a fan of Gambit.  Gambit and Kawa were the main reason that I
went to such pains to write portable Scheme for so long.  I always keep
Gambit in my back pocket, in case I ever run into a situation with
really unusual requirements (e.g., a gazillion threads).  Similar with
Kawa, in case I ever really-really need to target the JVM.  My strategy
nowadays is to program for Racket, but know how to port to another
excellent Scheme descendant if I ever have to.  So far I haven't had to.

Neil V.

Posted on the users mailing list.