[racket] translate from Racket to Common Lisp

From: Matthew Flatt (mflatt at cs.utah.edu)
Date: Mon Nov 5 07:58:54 EST 2012

At Sun, 4 Nov 2012 21:03:15 -0500, Sam Tobin-Hochstadt wrote:
> > but, anyway... I think
> > that benchmark turns out to measure mostly allocation. Racket in 32-bit
> > mode, where pair and vectors take up half as much space, runs almost
> > twice as fast as Racket in 64-bit mode.
>
> Is the Gambit allocator that much faster than ours?  Or does it use
> less memory for pairs and vectors?

I think Gambit uses less memory for pairs and vector --- one less word
per object.

That wouldn't explain the x2.2 difference, and on further
investigation, it turns out that I was running a 32-bit Gambit build.
Enclosed is a comparison of 32-bit Gambit and 32-bit Racket. (Switching
my Chicken installation seems like too much work for a sanity check.)
You'll see that Racket still x1.41 Gambit's time for "paraffins", which
is a closer match for the difference in allocation sizes.