[racket] Coding principles and styles

From: Laurent (laurent.orseau at gmail.com)
Date: Wed May 9 02:11:57 EDT 2012

On Wed, May 9, 2012 at 4:50 AM, Eli Barzilay <eli at barzilay.org> wrote:

> An hour ago, Greg Hendershott wrote:

[...]
> > You know that old saying, "I apologize for the length of this letter
> > but I didn't have time to make it shorter"?  I hope your code is the
> > result of multiple revisions. Because if you tell me it comes out
> > this way on your first try, I'm going to be very scared. :)
>
> Heh, I pay too much attention to how the code looks like...  I have
> very strict rules about it, and I almost never let myself go around
> them, even when I debug it.  (This results in some incompatibilities
> with the currently blessed style -- for example, I keep code at a
> width of <=79 chars (or in rare cases at 80); but OTOH I stick in most
> cases to putting as much on one line as possible within this limit.)

I'd be very interested in what your rules are. Could you expand a little
please?
Personally, although I do lack rigor, I tend to apply the "Never write the
same thing twice" principle (except I have yet no real principle about
where the compression must stop, though the length of the identifiers does
not count).
I don't have (for now) a hard limit of 80 chars, mainly because of
wide-screens and indentation, though I don't like long code lines with many
things stuffed in, so I might be closer to "80 chars from the start of the
line".

Laurent