[racket] REPL "Organism" <=> The Borg?

From: Jukka Tuominen (jukka.tuominen at finndesign.fi)
Date: Wed May 2 12:44:37 EDT 2012

Hi Olwe,

Liitin (liitin.finndesign.fi) wasn't originally designed to assimilate
humankind, but now that you mention it, it seems like a perfect means to
it. Feeding new data and functionality and distributing them is made
easy, versatile networking and parallel computation are also built-in.
There is quite a lot to it, so you may want to check the above project
page.

Another, AI-related project of mine, however is likely to get there
first. It is based on genetic programming and it evolves by
itself/herself/themselves - even as we speak - but you can also feed it
new skills. It uses those skills as black-box functionality, however it
may freely expand their usage in new situations or challenge them with
its own solutions. It pretty much does what it wants, really. I merely
gave it a starting point.

Either way, resistance is futile. Borg enough for you? :)

Both projects are Racket-based and lean heavily on dynamic evaluation
and efficient re-use of existing work. I'm doomed to be a permanent
beginner, so if I can do this, anyone can. Good luck and keep us
informed on your progress!

br, jukka

On Tue, 2012-05-01 at 16:33 -0400, Eli Barzilay wrote:
> 30 minutes ago, Olwe Melwasul wrote:
> >
> > Is anyone thinking along these lines? It seems like an environment
> > like Lisp/ Scheme with so much blurring of data and code, with
> > homoiconicity (why live without it?), with a REPL able to take new
> > code on the fly would be getting there. [...]
>
> Sounds like you should look into Liitin.
>

> > But then I've heard people from PLT/Racket downplaying the whole
> > dynamic feeding of a REPL.
>
> (Not really.)

Posted on the users mailing list.