[racket] DrRacket tabs tip: open files in tabs, not windows

From: Stephen De Gabrielle (stephen.degabrielle at acm.org)
Date: Thu Mar 22 16:03:50 EDT 2012

On Monday, March 19, 2012, Laurent <laurent.orseau at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Mon, Mar 19, 2012 at 14:14, Neil Van Dyke <neil at neilvandyke.org> wrote:
>>
>> If you like to use tabs instead of windows in DrRacket 5.2.1, this is a
very useful preference:

>> "Preferences -> General -> Open files in separate tabs (not separate
windows)"

> It seems to me that this has been around long before 5.2.1, hasn't it?
As long as I can remember, and I've been lurking here for a while now.

>> Then you can open additional files in tabs by selecting from the
pulldown filename widget on the left end of the toolbar.  In my experience,
this is faster than going to "File -> Open...", since that file chooser
defaults to the directory from which DrRacket started.

> I think this should be the default behavior. Do some people prefer to use
windows only?
+1

>> (Perhaps "File -> Open..." should be changed so that, *if there is an
open file in the current tab*, the file chooser starts in the directory of
that file, rather than in the current working directory of the process from
which DrRacket was invoked?  But, *if there is no file*, then file chooser
starts in the process cwd.)

> +1

+1

> Laurent

Stephen De Gabrielle
stephen.degabrielle at acm.org
Telephone +44 (0)20 85670911
Mobile        +44 (0)79 85189045
http://www.degabrielle.name/stephen
----
Professor: Oh God! I clicked without reading!
Cubert: And I slightly modified something I own!
Professor: We're monsters!