[racket] Google Summer of Code 2012 Ideas

From: Ray Racine (ray.racine at gmail.com)
Date: Fri Mar 2 10:34:32 EST 2012

I'd like to see more foundational libraries along the lines of say.

 - An Actor/Isolate high level message passing library over Places And
Threads.  All the necessary low-level primitives appear to be in place to
do something interesting and powerful here.
   - Message passing system should support "remote" Places (i.e. on a
different physical node)  transparently.

 - A dataframe / data panels library along the line of Python's Pandas
http://pandas.pydata.org/pandas-docs/stable/index.html
    - This should leverage existing stat/sci and the new overhauled plot
libraries.

 - A comprehensive implementation of the entire Amazon Cloud API's with an
interactive REPL / scriptable DSL for working with same.

 - A Hadoop integration library Java <-> Racket. (Might be too small for a
project.)
   - Hadoop already supports a StdIn StdOut processing of "scripts".
   - Implement the necessary custom readers/writers in Java supporting
Racket serialized Sexps data files.

 - Efficient native Racket implementations of newer web protocols such as
SPDY and Websockets.

Ray