[racket] H264 Codec in Racket

From: Anurag Mendhekar (mendhekar at yahoo.com)
Date: Wed Jun 6 17:21:27 EDT 2012

I'm considering writing an H.264 encoder/decoder in Racket. Has anyone tried such a thing before?

Codecs require a lot of bit-whacking and the h264 standard is particularly convoluted. Efficiencies are obtained in C in many different and usually complex ways. Codec experts usually recommend starting at C/++ and go to assembly to extract further performance.

Does any one have thoughts on this? Would someone be interested in working with me on an open-source project for this? I expect an exercise like this will also push the Racket implementation to deliver higher performance, or will establish a proof point about how good the implementations is.

Best,

Anurag.