[racket] What math do you want to do in Racket?

From: Dmitry Pavlov (dpavlov at ipa.nw.ru)
Date: Wed Jul 4 04:02:09 EDT 2012

Neil,

I kept in mind to initiate a topic about it, but
since you asked first (thanks!), I will say it now:

*** I want 80 bit IEEE floating point numbers in Racket. ***

Double precision (64 bit) is not always enough for scientific
calculations. Extended precision is demanded.

Is it possible to make something like "flonum"-s, bul 80-bit?

More than that, in the future we will surely need 128-bit
(quadruple precision) floating point numbers. Intel
and GCC compilers seem to support quadruple precision
already. They do it via emulation, but still it would be
interesting to try that in Racket, too. I believe we
will see real processors with 128-bit math someday.

Best regards,

Dmitry