[racket] Whither ProfessorJ

From: Neil Van Dyke (neil at neilvandyke.org)
Date: Wed Jan 18 16:14:00 EST 2012

IMHO, a good perspective on OO is to think first that behavior emerges
from the *interactions* of objects.  (Which perspective also has
implications for OOPLs, IMHO.)

Very-very-very simple embedded systems, like their model of a
coffeemaker (which doesn't even need to be an embedded system) make an
example of this almost too easy.

More important than the ``objects'' here is the ``state modeling'',
which predates OO in the discipline.

This coffeemaker example walks people through some of a process, but
doesn't do a great job of convincing that this hairy-looking process and
work product is better than a few lines of imperative code that one
could just whip out.  You need the reader to either be an intelligent
person who temporarily suspends judgment, or to be a Java grunt who
always just goes through whatever motions they're told to go through.

Incidentally, embedded systems provide a particularly good example of
needing to address concurrency issues in your OO model.

--
http://www.neilvandyke.org/