[racket] XML library: representing CDATA

From: Norman Gray (norman at astro.gla.ac.uk)
Date: Thu Jan 5 13:07:46 EST 2012

John and Neil, hello.

On 4 Jan 2012, at 03:47, John Clements wrote:

> On Jan 3, 2012, at 3:09 PM, Neil Van Dyke wrote:
>
>> I don't know what the *stock* XML parsing does, but I have used Oleg Kiselyov's SSAX parser a lot in Racket-based production apps, and it does handle CDATA.
[...]
> http://planet.racket-lang.org/display.ss?package=sxml2.plt&owner=clements

Thanks, both, for useful answers to a slightly different question!

I'm reasonably familiar with SSAX, and have not used it with scsh, SISC and PLT Scheme.  I haven't used it because (as it turned out) in each case either the native XML support or something handcrafted could provide what I needed, and I thus avoided a dependency.  That speaks more (as it happened) to modest XML needs in each of those cases, than to any overwhelmingly good native support.  My occasional very funky XML needs have been catered for by either XSLT (ugh, boke) or lots and lots of Java (ugh); in each case the decision was also a function of whom I was sharing the code with.

That's why I've chosen to use Racket's built-in XML parser/writer in this case.

That said, the provision of clements/sxml2 looks like it could swing the balance towards regarding SSAX as the 'always available' XML module for Racket.

Best wishes,

Norman

--
Norman Gray  :  http://nxg.me.uk