[racket] info.rkt planet-version variable?

From: Neil Van Dyke (neil at neilvandyke.org)
Date: Wed Jan 4 22:23:03 EST 2012

Regarding motivation and model... The "info.rkt" variable I suggest is
primarily for reliability and error-checking, and secondarily for ease
of access by tools.

Programmers specifying "require"s among multiple interacting PLaneT
packages, or documenting history of a package, need to talk about PLaneT
versions.  The PLaneT linkage table, the PLaneT development links, the
PLaneT server's database-- these have information about PLaneT versions,
are relatively hidden/opaque (compared to being able to just see the
correct version in a file in the directory you're in), and the first two
can be very fragile (use a different machine, run from a different
account, upgrade your Racket version, or make a pilot error in a very
error-prone process, and poof!).

So I've switched to making the explicit specification in "info.rkt" be
the arbiter for the PLaneT package developer, having a tool that
enforces and automates this for the directories with which the developer
is concerned at the moment, and raising errors/warnings when
"info.rkt"'s belief cannot be reconciled with the beliefs of others
(e.g., say, the PLaneT server, as you are about to do an upload).

Regarding naming... I'm open to other names.  "planet-version" seemed
unambiguous enough to me in context, and some other "info.rkt" variables
are similarly terse.  "expected-planet-version" would be a more
descriptive name.  Either name would be fine with me, or maybe someone
can suggest a better name if the idea sounds good to them.

--
http://www.neilvandyke.org/