[racket] Problem with default-indices files in Web-Server

From: Jay McCarthy (jay.mccarthy at gmail.com)
Date: Fri Feb 24 12:41:59 EST 2012

On Thu, Feb 23, 2012 at 3:24 PM, Gustavo Massaccesi <gustavo at oma.org.ar> wrote:
> Thanks for the answer. I prefer to use the standard plt-web-server
> executable, because I'm working in a small internal project for a few
> hundreds users. I solved my problem using a refresh in the index.html
> file to redirect the users to the real page. It isn't very elegant,
> but it works.

The standard executable is effectively deprecated. It will not support
new server features and it has not been getting new features for some
time. I consider the Web server to be a simple library for building
the server you need where a program is the effective configuration
file.

> This message is more like a feature request for the plt-web-server:
>
> If I put a ".rkt" file, I expect to see the "result" from the
> execution of the servlet in the browser, not the source code. If I add
> "index.rkt" to the default-indices, I'm surprised, because I see the
> source code. Is it sensible to change the default behavior of the
> plt-web-server in this case?

I don't think this makes sense. If you go to a URL that matches the
servlet root (from the config file), then a servlet is executed. If
you go to a URL that matches the file root, then the file is served.
If the servlets are inside of the file directory (not the default and
probably a bad idea), then servlets can be viewed as source if their
execution is some how missed.

Jay