[racket] sync on OS semaphore on Unix

From: Berthold Baeuml (berthold.baeuml at dlr.de)
Date: Tue Feb 7 17:07:15 EST 2012

On 07.02.2012, at 00:35, Matthew Flatt wrote:

> While calling most scheme_...() function is out, can the real-time
> thread call scheme_signal_received(), which amounts to a write() on an
> native OS pipe?

Unfortunately not. On Linux, this would work well, because the "footprint" of a write() to a pipe is very small, but on QNX, where we especially have the demand for threads running in hard realtime (jitter < 10us), definitely not: as a micro-kernel OS, QNX implements pipes as a separate process,  so writing to a pipe means scheduling to another process with its problems like scheduling jitter and priority inheritance ...

But, a while ago you had conservation with John Clement about the mzrt_sema_post call (which seem internally be realized using condition variables and, hence, be OK on QNX). Might this call be a way to wake up the racket main thread instead of scheme_signal_received()?

> If not, I think we'll need a new OS thread at some level to convert a
> semaphore wait to a call to scheme_signal_received(). The main Racket
> thread on a Unix platform sleeps via epoll(), poll(), or select(), all
> of which need file-descriptor activity to wake up (I think).

If mzrt_sema_post is no alternative, I will have to add one additional OS thread, which is waked up by, e.g., a condition variable and then polls all OS semaphores for all communications of the C threads with the racket main thread. This way, only one OS thread is enough (and not one for each semaphore as I thought yesterday).