[racket] drracket log pane quirks

From: Neil Van Dyke (neil at neilvandyke.org)
Date: Wed Dec 26 07:19:47 EST 2012

A few quirks with the DrRacket log pane (as seen with 5.3.1 and other
recent releases, on GNU/Linux):

* Log pane seems to automatically scroll vertically on new output.  This
is a problem if user is working through information in the log pane and
doesn't want to lose their position, or is visually referring to some
text in the log pane while working in Definitions or Interactions pane.
(This happens very frequently, when Log pane is on the All or "debug"
tabs, since GC messages keep losing one's place.)

* Log pane seems to automatically scroll horizontally on long lines.
Starts of lines, as well of starts of neighboring lines in context, are
generally more important.  Needs to either stay at the same horizontal
scroll position, or reset to leftmost scroll position.

* Text in the log pane is different size and typeface than that in the
Definitions and Interactions panes.  In my setup, this means that I
can't see as much info at once as I should be able to in the log pane.
Screenshot: http://postimage.org/image/4worjbfqd/

I've noticed these for a while, but I've been changing some of my tools
to work better with DrRacket than Emacs, so I'm feeling the pain more often.

Thanks,
Neil V.

Posted on the users mailing list.