[racket] minimum spanning tree

From: Matthias Felleisen (matthias at ccs.neu.edu)
Date: Wed Dec 5 10:30:22 EST 2012

You are making a very good point here, especially the last one,
which in a sense exposes the folly of Perlis's maxim (it is better
to have one data type with a 100 operations than 10 data types
with 10 operations each). One, the maxim biases programmers
and before they know it, they have introduced bad dependences
and performance problems and whoknowswhat.

Having said that, I think Ian's point is equally good. So here
is what I am wondering.

Isn't the case of graphs worth a case study where we define
a WIDE interface for graphs and their operations, which we
can do so with contracts. Then we implement it in several
different ways and conduct performance studies (small and
large). And we advertise, which library is good for which
kind of scenario.

I am sure that some data structure person has done this
for C++ or some such language. The Saarbrücken MPI 1 comes
to mind. BUT, I am also sure that we don't have it and that
we would benefit from having one.

NOW: as we conduct this study, we might be able to articulate
performance "contracts" (that's probably the wrong word) and
possibly learn how to add those to library implementations as
a secondary interface. Doing so would once again distinguish
Racket from other programming languages.

It is probably a dissertation, possibly more.