[racket] Thread creation slow?

From: Sam Tobin-Hochstadt (samth at ccs.neu.edu)
Date: Fri Aug 10 12:23:44 EDT 2012

Using my gcstats library, I get the following info.  GC is about 75%
of the total runtime, which surprises me since there should be no
garbage until all the channels are set up, which takes most of the
time. Note the extremely large amount of slop space.

    305,562,856 bytes allocated in the heap
    304,922,088 bytes collected by GC
  1,755,839,256 bytes max heap size
    975,524,384 bytes max slop
  2,722,820,096 bytes peak total memory use

Generation 0:      64 collections,   25,581ms, 25,635.9ms elapsed
Generation 1:       6 collections,    4,980ms, 4,982.54ms elapsed

INIT  time        12 ms
MUT   time     9,461 ms (  9,456.13 ms elapsed)
GC    time    30,561 ms ( 30,618.52 ms elapsed)
TOTAL time    40,034 ms ( 40,086.65 ms elapsed)

%GC time       76.36%   ( 76.40% elapsed)

Alloc rate     32,297,099 bytes per MUT second

for this slightly modified version:

#lang racket/base

(define leftmost (make-channel))
(define (setup-whispers left i n)
  (if (>= i n)
      left
      (let ((right (make-channel)))
        (thread (lambda ()
                  (channel-put left (+ 1 (channel-get right)))))
        (setup-whispers right (+ 1 i) n))))
(define rightmost (setup-whispers leftmost 0 100000))

(thread (lambda () (channel-put rightmost 1)))
(channel-get leftmost)

--
sam th
samth at ccs.neu.edu