[racket] 'Adult' Racket? (was rackunit vs test-engine)

From: Neil Toronto (neil.toronto at gmail.com)
Date: Wed Aug 8 12:15:01 EDT 2012

On 08/08/2012 09:48 AM, mike at goblin.punk.net wrote:
> On Tue, Aug 07, 2012 at 09:00:19PM -0400, Matthias Felleisen wrote:
>> -- test-engine provides test support for the teaching languages of DrRacket.
>> -- rackunit is for 'adult' programmers, meaning programmers who have outgrown
> teaching languages.
>
> I wish that I had known about rackunit earlier.  What other
> 'adult' features of Racket should people would you recommend to
> readers of HtDP?

All the `for' loops come to mind; the `for*' loops in particular are far
more readable than nested maps and folds.

Functional hash tables, if HtDP doesn't already cover them.

Advanced macros: using syntax-case, syntax-parse, syntax parameters,
lifts, and local expansion.

Typed Racket to statically enforce contracts, and for performance.

Neil ⊥

Posted on the users mailing list.