[racket] users Digest, Vol 84, Issue 21

From: James Swaine (james.swaine at eecs.northwestern.edu)
Date: Tue Aug 7 21:52:55 EDT 2012

> Message: 4
> Date: Tue, 7 Aug 2012 21:13:35 -0300
> From: Rodolfo Carvalho <rhcarvalho at gmail.com>
> To: Racket-users <users at racket-lang.org>
> Subject: [racket] futures-enabled?
>
> Hello,
>
> The documentation on
> Futures<http://docs.racket-lang.org/reference/futures.html>says that:
>
> Currently, parallel support for future is enabled by default for Windows,
> > Linux x86/x86_64, and Mac OS X x86/x86_64.
>

> I installed Racket 5.3 from the 32-bit Windows installer, and when I run
> (futures-enabled?) it returns #f.
> I tried from DrRacket (both on the definitions and interactions panels) and
> racket interpreter.
>
> I have an Intel Core 2 Duo CPU and Racket sees the 2 cores:
> > (processor-count)
> 2
>

> Does it really mean I didn't get parallel futures enabled?

This is a bug in the futures-enabled? implementation (it is erroneously
returning #f regardless of whether futures are in fact enabled).  If you
used the installer futures should be enabled on your platform
(futures-enabled? doesn't have any effect on whether futures run in
parallel or not).  I'm pushing a fix for this.