[racket] Problems trying to do non-blocking I/O and a reactor loop

From: Neil Van Dyke (neil at neilvandyke.org)
Date: Sat Aug 4 13:08:16 EDT 2012

Matthew Flatt wrote at 08/04/2012 12:33 PM:
> At Fri, 3 Aug 2012 20:51:37 -0400, Greg Hendershott wrote:
>
>> 3. Bad news: I just got it to happen again, with 5.3.0.16:
>>
> I see how that could happen, and I've pushed a repair --- mostly by
> improving the guarantees about progress evts. (I think it's too late to
> include this repair in v5.3, though.)

If Greg's "bug-example.rkt" is perfectly legitimate, and, to survive a
one-hour "ab" burn-in test, the test needs a Racket fix that will not be
in the 5.3 release... would it make sense to have a 5.3.1 urgent bugfix
release?  (Or is Greg's code doing something unusual, and there is a
reasonable code change he can make to avoid the problem?)

Reason I ask is that I might want to move some production servers to 5.3
to get those other bugfixes (not yet sure), but I similarly might also
need this latest bugfix of yours.  (For production servers, released
versions are easier to specify and reproduce; non-released versions
might sometimes be necessary, and some organizations have extra
infrastructure and process set up for reproducibility with their own
custom builds, but it's not something one wants to do if one doesn't
have to.)

Neil V.

Posted on the users mailing list.