[racket] drracket does not work in Ubuntu 12.04 Beta 2

From: Jackson Lawler (jaylaw555 at gmail.com)
Date: Mon Apr 9 18:36:44 EDT 2012

I was using DrRacket for a class using PLAI on Ubuntu 11.10 with some
issues before the complete failure in 12.04 Beta 2.
It was very slow when it came to scrolling with my trackpoint, but moving
aroung with the keyboard only or with an external mouse with a wheel moved
slowly, but didn't freeze DrRacket for many seconds and then move a whole
lot like it did with the trackpoint.  I'm not sure if that was some kind a
precursor to the trouble I am having now.  I believe some of that problem
came about because of Ubuntu's new Unity interface.

When I installed changed to the 12.04 Beta 2 of Ubuntu, I tried to install
the DrRacket version available in the Ubuntu Software Center that was
working on 11.10.  It installed, but then would not run.  I then tried toi
install the follwing versions from the website: debian_squeeze x86_64,
fedora 14 x86_64, ubuntu karmic i386.  Those did not work either.  Finally,
I resorted to compiling the Unix source myself, which also failed.

I don't know if you all can help me with this or if this is something I
need to contact Canonical about, but any suggestions are very welcome.

I know this might be because I am using a Beta version, but since the full
version comes out in 18 days I had hoped that it would still be fairly
stable.  For the most part, it is quite stable.
I would have waited until the final release came out before emailing you
all about this, but since I need it for class, I decided to send this now.

The error would occur whenever I tried to run drracket in the terminal.
After every installation (I did uninstall the each previous attempt before
trying again with a different version) I would do this:

jack at jack-ThinkPad-W520:~$ drracket

The result was always:

ffi-lib: couldn't open "libjpeg.so.62" (libjpeg.so.62: cannot open shared
object file: No such file or directory)

 === context ===
/usr/lib/racket/collects/racket/draw/unsafe/jpeg.rkt: [running body]
/usr/lib/racket/collects/racket/draw/private/bitmap.rkt: [traversing
imports]
/usr/lib/racket/collects/racket/draw/private/dc.rkt: [traversing imports]
/usr/lib/racket/collects/racket/draw/private/svg-dc.rkt: [traversing
imports]
/usr/lib/racket/collects/racket/draw.rkt: [traversing imports]
/usr/lib/racket/collects/mred/private/kernel.rkt: [traversing imports]
/usr/lib/racket/collects/mred/private/const.rkt: [traversing imports]
/usr/lib/racket/collects/mred/private/check.rkt: [traversing imports]
/usr/lib/racket/collects/mred/private/mred.rkt: [traversing imports]
/usr/lib/racket/collects/mred/mred.rkt: [traversing imports]
/usr/lib/racket/collects/mred/main.rkt: [traversing imports]
/usr/lib/racket/collects/racket/gui/base.rkt: [traversing imports]
/usr/lib/racket/collects/drracket/drracket.rkt: [traversing imports]

How can I fix this?

Running 'racket" from the terminal works just fine, so I know the
installation was at least partially successful.
I can use another editor (GVim, nano, Vi, Emacs) or the like, but right
now, I really don't want to learn a new editor in the midst of a class.

I do not, in any manner, intend to accuse anyone of anything in this
e-mail; I just need help.

Any and all help, again, would be greatly appreciated.