[racket] Clarification on licensing of Racket code?...

From: Rüdiger Asche (rac at ruediger-asche.de)
Date: Sun Apr 8 06:42:26 EDT 2012

I regret that the discussion has taken this strange turn and the ridiculing
aspects, and I apologize for in parts being responsible for this
development.

This is not about me (or anybody else) having spare money to spend and
wanting to finance somebody's home theater out of questionable moral or
altruistic feelings. It's about business realities and the real world
outside of academia and its ivory tower surreality.

I look at it this way (and now, after I did receive a number of helpful
comments in private conversations, which I am grateful for, violate my own
plea NOT to make this into a debate about open software): Writing software
is a creative skillful task, and everyone who *is* in a computer program in
some University actually prepares to make a living of applying this skill,
generally in the real (business) world which (yet) provides paid positions.

A few years ago, the embedded market (which is what I am working in) still
worked like this: You designed hardware and specified that the flash or
Eeprom memory that this hardware provides must accomodate all the software
that you needed to realize the task this hardware was set out to do. This
(aside from your own code) covers things like RTOS, connectivity (networking
and/or serial drivers), GUI libs (if the hardware had a display), self
programming routines and so on. Also, you had to invest in tools that helped
you glue everything together - compilers, IDEs, debuggers, and so on, some
combined with special hardware (ICEs/emulators..), but all of this contained
software that somebody had to write somewhere. Consequently, there was quite
a diverse aftermarket of commercial companies who offered all of this -
needless to say under the condition that the company could make a living off
it. I as the person who glues everything together made the choice which
tools/libraries to use - or even provide those myself (I used to do that,
provide a TCP/IP stack for one of our systems), and the decision was
strictly a gain-loss type of thing: Which provider has the least expensive
solution that best suits your needs and can still survive on the agreed
price. You would then buy all the necessary licenses and price your final
product by your own expenses and the revenue you expect to make from the
product.

Now. A lot of the third party companies that provided exactly those
components have gone out of business because of high-quality open source
competition - it's kind of a vicious circle; when our competitors use
Embedded Linux or FreeRTOS along with gcc and other open source tools, we
just can't compete anymore when our product has to finance in the licensing
cost for a commercial OS and/or compiler and consequently must reduce the
costs and stop buying software and instead also go open source components,
which in turn puts more companies out of business.

So everybody who contributes to Open Software that may be used by commercial
developers at the end of the day ruins the price of the very skilled work of
software developers and thus saws off the branches of the tree that
otherwise may have provided him a job outside the world of academia (whose
finances mostly depend on arbitrary decisions of funding institutions like
the NSF instead of real money paid by real people for real products).

I'd rather support the "old" system in which I get paid for things that real
people really use. That's why my preference is for commercial products where
developers get paid for something that generates real and genuine revenue.
Of course I CAN get fantastic support from people like Matthias and Matthew,
and of course I could "simply" fix bugs myself in OS products by wading
through the sources, but the question is always whether me doing it would be
more expensive than somebody else doing it who I pay to make sure that a
closed part of my system works (and who is so deep into it that he'll find
the problem much faster than myself). Those two reasons (more efficient
support by people whose job that is AND working with a company that pays
their developers) is why I am hoping for some commercial version of
Racket/Scheme that can sustain its developers and provide me with an
environment that I can use on commercial terms.

So to all of those who make jokes about me wishing to pay somebody's home
theater out of thankfulness: Make your jokes now but remember that in 10
years when you DON'T have a job because 90% of all software will be open
source by then and the rest is expected to be free as well. There won't be
THAT many jobs in academia by then that allow you to write software and
still get paid for it from someone.