[racket] DrRacket GEdit-like "External tools"

From: Laurent (laurent.orseau at gmail.com)
Date: Thu Apr 5 11:31:24 EDT 2012

Hi,

Does anyone know about a DrRacket Plugin that would look like GEdit
"External Tools"? Could'nt find anything of the like on PLaneT.

The idea is to have an embedded editor for small scripts that can, for
example, take the current text selection as input and replace the text
in-place by the output of the script.
Sample:
https://live.gnome.org/Gedit/Plugins/ExternalTools?action=AttachFile&do=get&target=external-tools-manager-with-gedit-3.png

The input can either be nothing, the current document, the current
selection, the current line, or the current word (considering s-expr would
be an obvious extension).
The output can also be redirected to some other panel, created in a new
file, or inserted at the cursor.
An menu-item is added automatically for each script (without even needing
to restart GEdit), and a keyboard shortcut can be assigned to each one.
GEdit uses the linux shell and can therefore work with different languages,
but I don't think anyone would dare to complain if such a tool would be
"limited" to the Racket languages.

That would certainly make DrRacket much more easily configurable! Up to
now, this has been the most convenient way I've seen to easily extend an
IDE for a large variety of simple actions.

By the way, I think it would make sense to have a dedicated "DrRacket
Plugins" section on PLaneT.

Thanks,
Laurent